4 April, 2015. 14:15
IMRAN GASHKORI | Sports Editor | Contact
In late February it was announced that the sporting world would finally get the chance to witness pound-for-pound boxing greats Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao battle it out, in what has been described as the most anticipated fight in boxing history.
For more than five years sports fans have begged for a collision between the two best fighters in the world, and after various failed negotiations — the two boxing camps have clarified that it will take place on May 2 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
In the months since this announcement, it has been revealed that any group of males, sitting around any table, at any hotel – are the best authorities on this age-old combat sport.
After a few beers, it appears that middle-aged men are able to explain and discuss a surprisingly vast understanding of the intricacies and history of welterweight boxing – particularly when it comes to careers of Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao.
Recurring arguments are common in these circles as groups of previously disinterested men do their best to showcase their undying love for boxing.
Key expressions that might be heard:
– “Dude, Mayweather is gonna go 50-0”
– “If it’s a clean fight, I reckon Pacman will take it out”
– “Dude, Mayweather picks his fights. It’s too late, Pacquiao is too old”
– “Imagine Muhammad Ali in his peak versing Pacman”
– A lot of people think that Muhammad Ali is the best boxer ever, but it’s definitely Tyson”
– “Dude, have you seen that footage on youtube of Tyson shadowboxing when he’s like 15?!”
– “Dude, Mayweather is a fuckwit”
The showdown is set to be the richest in boxing history and will, barring a draw, settle the issue that has been debated for years: Who is the No. 1 fighter in boxing and who is the king of this era? Many look forward to finding out.
Although many also believe they already know the answer.
That is the worst, dumbest and most pointless fucking article any journalist has written
nah you are