Lightning Ridge farmer under investigation for racially abusing black cattle

"Furthermore, I implored him to 'take his fucking medicine' by pulling his head up and forcing him to swallow the drench by holding his mouth shut,"

1 June, 2015. 12:35

ERROL PARKER | Editor-at-large | Contact

A LIGHTNING RIDGE pastoralist is being investigated by the RSPCA over allegations he has been racially abusing his Angus cattle.

It’s claimed by the animal protection organisation that Philip Rochford, a 61-year-old local farmer, referred to a breeder cow as a “big black bitch” during scheduled “preg testing” in March.

Testing for a pregnancy in cattle is especially distressing for the animal as an operator needs to insert his arm, sometimes up to the elbow, to check for the presence of a foetus through the rectal cavity.

Philip Rochford is under investigation for using racial insults directed toward his black Angus cattle. PHOTO: I. Gashkori/Betoota Advocate
Philip Rochford is under investigation for using racial insults directed toward his Angus cattle. PHOTO: I. Gashkori/Betoota Advocate

On this particular occasion which is under investigation, it is alleged by the RSPCA that the Angus cow took offence to Mr Rochford putting his arm up her back passage and began to “buck widely” in the cattle crush.

Mr Rochford then let out a string of highly derogatory and racial insults directed toward the cow.

The 3-year-old cow told investigators that Rochford called her “a mad old black cunt of a thing” and a “fucking black cunt” when she began to raise her objections to having an arm up her arse.

Outside Lightning Ridge Local Court, the father of three said the charges where “bullshit and defamatory because everybody knows that animals can’t speak English”.

“Look this is just another stunt by those PETA dimwits,”

“That’s why I’ll always love and support my daughters – so they don’t get a complex and become animal rights activists,”

“As for the charges, of course I’m going to fight them. I’m not going to get a criminal record for swearing at a cow.” he said.

A similar incident made headlines last month, when the RSPCA knocked on the door of a Broken Hill grazier after he was caught on film swearing at a herd of sheep.

Investigators were tipped off by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) because it was thought that sheep were able to understand and comprehend English.

This merino wether, Kevin, was offended by a Broken Hill farmer's language. PHOTO: I. Gashkori/Betoota Advocate
This merino wether, Kevin, was offended by a Broken Hill farmer’s language. PHOTO: I. Gashkori/Betoota Advocate

Ellis Raymond, the sheep farmer at the centre of the Broken Hill controversy, told local radio that he was “unaware that the sheep had been offended by his remarks”.

“I’d like to take this opportunity to apologise publicly to a 4-year-old Merino wether that I’ve known all his life,” he said.

“When he decided to turn around in the race and spit out his drench, I called him ‘a dumb cunt’ and that was wrong of me,”

“Furthermore, I implored him to ‘take his fucking medicine’ by pulling his head up and forcing him to swallow the drench by holding his mouth shut,”

“So Kevin the sheep, from the bottom of my heart, I’m sorry for calling you a ‘fucking dumb cunt’ and I’ll never do it again.” said Mr Raymond.

Mr Raymond was promptly fined for “swearing repeatedly” during a live broadcast and was banned for life from ABC 999 Broken Hill.

AAP

42 Responses to "Lightning Ridge farmer under investigation for racially abusing black cattle"

• Ken   June 1, 2015 at 6:51 pm

Tried to understand your comments but they make no sense. You wrote it so presumably you are angered by whatever your point is, so why dont you take action.

• Pete   June 1, 2015 at 8:14 pm

You are an idiot

1. John Donoghue   June 1, 2015 at 4:47 pm

So every one has a farm handed to them what a idiot and if it is so easy why are so many leaving

2. Ken   June 1, 2015 at 5:03 pm

When people laugh and say how ridiculous this issue is illustrates how much they don’t appear to understand what the point is.

One uses abusive language to a human to denigrate, to intimidate and as an expression of their hatred, their anger, their disrespect of the person. Same principle applies to speaking to an animal in that way. And its not who ‘victim’ is we should be questioning but the perpetrator, given they are the one doing the abusing.
    Using abusive language is an indicator at what a person really feels about the victim – in this instance an animal and how they treat the animal. The fact a farmer speaks to his animals as though they are what he scrapes off his shoe speaks volumes about how he views them.

• gary   June 1, 2015 at 8:16 pm

I’ve worked on farms for a long time and i also own a small farm. Swearing at your animals or even your co workers is not unusual, it is actually a term of endearment, but as you have clearly never spent more than 5 mins on a farm, you wouldn’t know that.

• Michelle   June 2, 2015 at 5:09 pm

I second that, maybe the people complaining should try out farming for a few weeks, they’ll be amazed at the new words they learn

• Blake   June 1, 2015 at 8:29 pm

Ken your a complete imbilsile, u must work in the city and probally have never stepped foot on a property that work stock, u probally call people worse names but behind their back, the stupidity of this whole article is the most rediculous thing ive heard as well as humorous because i thought at first someone was taking the piss! This is a complete discrace to normal human society

• Astounded   June 2, 2015 at 6:54 pm

Hi Ken,

Just out of innocent curiosity, which way do you vote? Are you a Coalition, Labor or Greens man?

• Will   June 2, 2015 at 11:52 pm

Ken, I think you need to get a life. If you are going to complain about ranchers abusing cattle then you and PETA need to quite killing dogs. You guys always point fingers.

• bugatti 62   June 3, 2015 at 5:59 am

Good on yer Ken,, My sentiments exactly.

3. Rosemary   June 1, 2015 at 6:30 pm

So… It’s ok for the our professional people – not naming names to swear and insult other people in their course of duty…. so apparently we – the under dog have no feelings and are thought of as dumb beasts.
    Swearing and abuse at animals and people we know well is a form of affection in lots of ways.
    I just cannot understand people, maybe if they walk in the steps a lot of us have stumbled on,and treat their fellow man with empathy they would not be whining so much. Farming is hard yakka, and there are very few who are inhumane. BTW I never leave comments but this is a disappointment yet again for our boys in the bush

4. Severus   June 1, 2015 at 6:34 pm

Ken, you larrikin. The point is this – animals can not comprehend english. Everything else is irrelevant.

5. Shane Revell   June 1, 2015 at 7:05 pm

Animals an animal this isn’t even news worthy.

6. Lance   June 1, 2015 at 8:42 pm

i think this is a prank RIGHT if RSPCA officers have nothing better to do than waste time on here say conversations they are a waste of Oxygen

7. Von   June 1, 2015 at 9:10 pm

What planet are you people from? If I were a judge or a magistrate and I had to listen to such absolute tripe I would
    1. order a psychiatric evaluation
    2. throw the matter out of court
    3. have the complainant listed as a vexatious litigant
    4, Award lots and lots of costs against the complainant.
    I hope none of this was serious.

8. christina   June 1, 2015 at 9:28 pm

Oh really this is ludacrist animals can’t understand people. These charges should be dropped

9. Buckerooster   June 1, 2015 at 10:27 pm

When are you idiots going to realise how this is “so tongue in cheek”.
    It demonstrates how little people who dont have anything to do with animal husbandry know about life on the land and working with animals.

10. Rick Beeby   June 1, 2015 at 11:24 pm

Really? You took this farmer to court? Have you been kicked by an animal? I bet you would say more than “OUCH”.
    Could have been a white cow so calling her a “white bitch” makes a difference?
    If I call a human a “black bastard” I am in heaps of trouble, but if they call me a “white bastard” that’s ok.
    Check your facts on rectal examination of horses & cattle & why this is necessary.
    I challenge you to visit farms in Australia, owned by overseas interests. Have a good look at how animals are being treated & the living conditions of their imported workers.
    Really what does PETA mean?
    P Pathetic
    E Erroneous
    T Thoughtless
    A Association
    Rick Beeby

11. Ani   June 2, 2015 at 2:01 am

I… Did anyone read the article? Cause the comments here suggest that people have simply read the title and entered into spontaneous fits of rage. So confusing.

• Brett Edwards   June 2, 2015 at 1:44 pm

You are so right Ani, I cant believe that people are taking this article and others on this website for real. For me it just goes to show how stupip we are as a nation. Wake the F@#K UP people. Its not real……….

12. Karen Newby   June 2, 2015 at 5:10 am

Im sure if he apologised to her and gave her a kiss and a cuddle, she would head butt him. Because cattle out in a paddock or in a set of yards won’t understand a kiss or a cuddle or being called a dumb you know what.

13. Jazzy   June 2, 2015 at 8:58 am

Sometimes swearing at livestock is unavidable due to the unpredictable nature of raising said animals. The swearing is in no way “insulting or discriminating”, but merely a form of stress relief/ frustration venting, because lets face it: livestock animals can be difficult to handle at the best of times, regardless if they’re raised in a calm, low-stress environment or not. When you’ve been kicked or stepped on by an animal you’re trying to take care of (whether that means pregnancy testing, vaccinating or other animal husbandry practices), or when you have spent an afternoon fixing 5 miles of fence across 3 pastures because the bulls decided they wanted to go on a walkabout, then try telling ranchers that swearing at livestock is a “no-no”. We have chosen (yes, CHOSEN) to live our lives raising these animals, and while we may occasionally resort to swearing, these animals are our livelihood and we are proud to see them healthy and happy under our care. Keep fining/ suing ranchers over trivial things like this, and the animals will be the ones who suffer. Think about it: the money for the rediculous fine/ court fees could be being used by the rancher to provide feed, medicine and other items for the livestock.

14. sue   June 2, 2015 at 10:36 am

My son was kicked in the head by a steer, required 7 stitches and is scarred for life.
    Can we have the steer charged with assault, I’m pretty sure he muttered you dumb f@#$er as he kicked him!
    I know we all said that when we saw him. What is our legal status here, can PETA represent my son and give the steer a talking to or should he sue for damages.
    I think the behaviour of the steer is unacceptable in the workplace.
    Perhaps the RSPCA has a view on abuse to farmers and farm workers from livestock.
    This is not the only instance of injury incurred by one of my sons whilst caring for livestock.
    In addition to this my son was up early feeding and checking on the cattle, however when my son was sick the same cattle did not tend to him or show any concern for his welfare. MY point being that if PETA and RSPCA want this type of relationship to exist then surely it should be reciprocal.

15. julie   June 2, 2015 at 10:53 am

what a load of bulldust. I’ve sworn at my cat when he crapped on the floor though his parents weren’t married so technically I was correct. he still loves me. I’ve also killed flies and snails and mosquitos. does that make me a murderer?

• Rod Barford   June 2, 2015 at 11:28 pm

Oh Julie! The horror … !!

16. michael   June 2, 2015 at 1:04 pm

I’m pretty sure this article is a gee up. Don’t think anyone could take this seriously.

17. Marcus Webster   June 2, 2015 at 4:24 pm

Are yous litraley fucked in the head so what if he says a few words to the cows what is it illegal what has the world come to

18. Barry   June 2, 2015 at 8:12 pm

So if verbal abuse of an animal is wrong, what about all those under age farm animals that have sex and get pregnant, does that make the bulls and the rams pedophiles?. and what about the kangaroos and emus, may as well blow the whole place up. Australia is a breeding ground for idiots from the looks of PETA and the RSPCA, or should it be PETARSPCA both the same thing. Maybe all the farmers should come to the city, let their animals roam free and sit on their ass and drink barista coffee that way no one has to work, they will just live off the donations that people send to them.

19. Steve   June 2, 2015 at 9:07 pm

I’ll have a stern word with the Betoota Advocate reporter to check the stories with greater diligence – should have known that Angus cattle understand English only when spoken with a Scot accent, and furthermore, only Kiwi sheep have any understanding of the language….

20. Rod Barford   June 2, 2015 at 11:26 pm

You couldn’t get a clearer example of how disconnected both PETA and the RSPCA are from reality nowadays.
    All officials from both organisations involved in this ludicrous farce should be court-ordered into psychotherapy as a matter of urgency.
    This is also a perfect example of why I would never donate a single cent to the RSPCA!
    And while we’re focussing the spotlight on these fumbling loonies, what about a government audit of both PETA and RSPCA? Both are steeped in corruption and hypocrisy. Both are responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of animals annually – talk about hypocrites!

21. Mark   June 3, 2015 at 3:31 am

.. “The 3 year old cow told investigators” .. This quote obviously indicates that the article is intended as humourous and is in fact fictional .. You can all relax .. 😎

22. bugatti 62   June 3, 2015 at 6:01 am

Well done Kennie, My sentiments exactly.. what a load of tossers to think this is ok.. gives Australians a bad name.

23. Matthew Martin   June 3, 2015 at 6:29 am

I cant get passed kevin the whether, obviously the insults are doing him well, the article says he is a 4 year old whether, he looks as fresh as a lamb in his picture.

But all seriousness PETA need to get a life, they are ruining farming and causing issues and if you dont live or work on a farm you shouldnt even open your mouth to the subject

24. rick   June 3, 2015 at 7:32 am

maybe they should get ear plugs for the sheep and cows better the farmer take out his frustrations verbally not physicaly boycoot rspca millions paws and just laugh at peta f tards

25. Dingo   June 3, 2015 at 8:37 am

Dumb asses. It’s a flock of sheep, not a herd of sheep.

26. anon   June 3, 2015 at 11:48 am

“They sit up in their ivory tower in their cotton shirts and leather boots and tell farmers that they’re monsters,” – comedy gold!

27. silmarillian   January 4, 2016 at 9:15 pm

I live at the Ridge and just loved this story must remember to bow towards mecca each time I pass a sheep or cow on the way to Grawin. not sure about the grey two legged pet food that have a habit of kissing the bull bar but I do make sure to drive round road kills.
    Oh look out I hear the animal liberationists and greenies preparing their affidavit to take me to court well in for a penny in for a pound consider this we actively cull kangeroos and various vermin from our properties. Bet a few in the comfort of the cities just spilled their chardone that was washing down a noce meal of steak or chops that come from the land around me. But thats OK if you buy it in a plastic wrapper from the supermarket as you can convince yourself no animal was harmed in the process of feeding you I suppose .
    Had a good laugh you should say what I have to say about kangaroos as I have to chain the bullbar up to a tree to pull it back out after one of the hopping pet foods species committes hari kari on my bullbar…..I wait in anticipation of my court summons 🙂

28. Fraser   February 13, 2016 at 1:52 pm

This was a few months late for April Fools

@gary When the dog leaves you, you know you probably went too far haha

29. Dylan   February 15, 2016 at 5:20 pm

HAHAHAHA! I dont know which is funnier,the article or the comments😂. Have people forgotten what humour and sarcasm are?

30. Elizabeth   August 25, 2016 at 9:20 pm

If you cannot swear when something goes wrong on your what the hell is the world coming to

31. jan   August 27, 2016 at 12:32 pm

Get rid of political correctness,it has gone mad.
    Too many idiots are thinking on the left side of their head.They are called idiot lefties