17 August, 2015. 11:10
CLANCY OVERELL | Editor | Contact
Prime Minister Tony Abbott has revealed today that the Coalition has spent “hours working with the public broadcasters” – in an effort to find a suitable replacement to the ABC’s controversial Q&A program.
“Q&A is safe for now, but we are looking towards either a vast change to format, or a completely different program to fill the slot. There have been many suggestions from my end,”
“It looks as though the ABC might move toward outsourcing television content to fill the primetime slot. Out of both American and English programs, one of my preferences would be a partnership with the WWE network,”
The ABC board met yesterday to consider Abbott’s request to have Q&A replaced entirely, by the WWE’s Monday Night RAW.
Today they have released a statement saying they have considered the program and the ABC would in fact benefit from an “orderly” shift into the direction of electrifying sports entertainment.
The board said if the changes were put in place, the new Monday night format would “take effect no later than the 2016 broadcast year”.
It is believed that Mr Abbott has spoken at length with veteran journalist, Ray Martin, following the former ACA presenter’s official review of the ABC following an incident in May this year – After programmers for Q&A allowed former terrorism suspect and convicted criminal, Zaky Mallah into the live studio audience to question a Government official.
“I mean, If the ABC are looking to creates villains… they certainly are succeeding,” says Abbott following his consultation with Mr Martin.
“Zaky Mallah, myself, Barnaby, Joe, Cardinal Pell… They love dividing a crowd,”
“I think if this is the type of program they want on the air, they should just be honest about it. The World Wrestling Entertainment are world-renowned for their abilities to create character heels,”
“…and it’s probably more believable than Q&A’s painfully contrived and recurring climate change debate”
“I mean seriously, Q&A is slowly becoming a forum for whinging left-wing scientists. If our public broadcaster is going to pollute the tube with bullshit, at least make it entertaining”
Last month Mr Abbott wrote to the ABC board chairman James Spigelman saying it would be appropriate to move the program from the Television Division of the ABC into the News Division, if he wanted it to remain on the air at all.
“Frontbenchers look forward to resuming their participation on Q&A once this move takes place,” Mr Abbott wrote.
“But don’t get too used to seeing them there. I have nothing but love for the ABC… But as of January, I expect to receive a little TLC in return,”
“And by TLC I mean… Tables, ladders, chairs”